Monday, December 11, 2006

Supply and Demand

Well kids, it looks as though the Louet Victoria is turning out to be the "spinning equivalent to the Play Station 3" this Christmas. Lettuce Knit in Toronto had ordered in a store sample of the Victoria and I was eager to try it...only to have it snapped up before it was unpacked! At any rate, I've got my name on the waiting list for the March shipment and hopefully it won't involve sleeping outside of the store in layered clothes and a box of lousy pizza. There is a nice review of the wheel here and I found a neat little video on how to set it up on you tube. I've asked for Santa to bring me a Woolee Winder for my Schacht so, hopefully I will have lots of spinning toys this year.

I've been spinning the Blue Faced Leicester from Lisa Souza and it is lovely but I'm having problems with it not staying spun. If I have to pull some back off of the bobbin - it shreds and falls apart. Does this breed need more twist? Any epiphanies for me on this?

In the mean time, I need to knit myself a scarf to go with a brand new deep chocolate brown winter coat I've bought. I stumbled on this beautiful pattern on Lisa's site and snapped it up along with her soft merino sock yarn to make it.

This colour way is called "Mardi Gras" and boasts shades of brilliant orange, hot pink, periwinkle and a touch of chocolate brown. I should be a fun knit. Lisa's customer service is amazing.

My Icarus shawl is progressing but will definitely not be finished to wear at the company Christmas party this Saturday. That's OK - I promised myself no obsessing or overextending myself this holiday season so, it'll be done when it's done. I'm so zenned out I may just find peace on earth this Christmas...if not a Victoria.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lots of twist is a good thing, with merino and Biffle. The longer the staple the less twist you need but you don't want to have something that pills like crazy, now do you? Wensleydale likes a lot less twist (no piano wire, thank you) and merino likes a lot. BFL is the Goldilocks...keep at it, you will do just fine.

vanessa said...

please give a full report when you get the new wheel!

Dr. Steph said...

That sucks about the wheel. I was looking forward to your visit. Nice scarf kit you have to make up for the longer wait!

Anonymous said...

Hey there, I tagged you. Check my blog for details. Guess that means I'm back to blogging!

vanessa said...

i tagged you!

vanessa said...

never mind, anmiryam got you first ;-)