Monday, August 21, 2006


What's the plural of moose?

Today, the mailman delivered my new "moosie spindle". I love my mail man. He knows to deliver my conquests during that slim window between the time my husband leaves for work and I do. Without further ado - here is my 1.32 oz moose antler spindle with ebony shaft from Bosworth Spindles.

I purchased my first spindle from another source at Stitches East last September and though it wasn't the best spindle, I was hooked. Word on the street is that Bosworth spindles are the gold standard and after purchasing a very "tigery" bocote spindle in Feb., I placed my name on the moosie list.

I put my name on the list in March this year and I made the cut (you'd think I was auditioning for "Idol" or something) in June for the "July herd". One gets to choose the whirl from many lovely options and then choose a complementary shaft wood. That's where it got tough for me but in the end, ebony won out and I'm so thrilled with the results. It spins like a dream (I barely made it out the door to work on time I was so busy playing with it). The roving attached is from The Fold and has a bit of sparkle to it. I - of course had to immediately contact The Fold to see if they had more...they do. I think this extra special roving is the perfect pairing with the moosie spindle. My kids were immediately concerned for the welfare of the donor moose so I showed them the attached tag that confirms "no moose were harmed in the making of this spindle." Thanks for including that Sheila - I'm not sure they would have believed me! So, what wine does one break out for such an occasion? Why Trius Grand Red of course! A Niagara wine - winner of the 2006 Les Citadelles du Vin (2006): Trophé Prestige (substitut de la médaille de bronze). Trius Grand Red is an assemblage of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Merlot grape varieties. Fruit forward, jammy and in a class of its own - much like the moosie spindle!

No comments: