Wednesday, June 25, 2008

No Cigar
Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. I spun and spun and spun and then spun some more. I made two whole bobbins of single ply thread to be plied as a two ply lace weight. I plied and plied and (you get the drift). This has been my main project for several months now. I'll be making the Diamond Fantasy Shawl for the Fair this September. I need 750 yards to make the shawl.


I washed, rinsed swung it by the tail round and round and left it to dry. I'm very pleased with the results - it's a pale wheat colour with stains of gold and Rosy copper. I wound it into two centre pull balls and then got out the old McMorran balance. 340m per 100g according to my calculations - between the two balls I apparently have 640 m. There are 1.09 metres per yard so a little kitchen math says...duh 699.91 yards. So close but cutting it too close I fear.
I'm eager to put some colourful roving on my wheel after so many days of "au natural" so I think I'll start with this and see how close I come to finishing then I'll truly know how much more to spin. On the up side - I did buy enough extra to spin more if I need it.





Speaking of natural hand spun - I'd like to highly recommend the new book A Fine Fleece. It's a lovely publication of classic cabled and textured designs created to show case one's hand spun. Each design is also shown in a commercial yarn in the event you just want to cut to the chase. I adore this book and it has me pondering what sort of natural roving I would want to spin to make an entire sweater. I do love the Blue Faced Leicester so if anyone knows of a good source for some pretty BFL - let me know. I love this cardigan.
It reminds me of the Elizabeth Bennett cardigan from Stephanie Japel's book Fitted Knits.








This woven patterned cardigan called Amanda is my current fav
and finally this pullover called Two Hearts is a show stopper.









There's nothing like knitting with your own hand spun and although I've knitted a scarf from hand spun - I've yet to make a garment with my own stuff. The best part is that if you need more - you just dip into the roving bag and voila, problem solved. If there isn't enough roving then as long as you're close - there's always a nice vest.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"A Fine Fleece" is an amazing book -- it has at least 8 sweaters that I'm dying to make!

Romi said...

I made a size between the scarf and shawl, and you would have enough for that. It's a good size. I knit lace pretty loosely.

Check out Lisa Souza's website, I'm pretty sure she has tons of gorgeous BFL.

http://www.lisaknit.com